Thursday, August 4, 2011

Jon Sands Poetry Workshop

Just to see what would happen, I emailed my poetry IDOL, Jon Sands (http://jonsands.com/) to see if he would come and teach a workshop at our center. Sure enough, 3 months later, I picked him up at the metro and he ran an AWESOME poetry writing session with our kids. 






It was such a privilege to have him here and he was an amazing influence on our students. Here are some stand-out poems:

When I Return as a Raspberry
By Biruk

I will make all the other berries weep (and I mean ALL the other berries).
Blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, yelowberries, greenberries, purpleberries, skyberries, grossberries, schoolberries, shoeberries, confusingberries, smartberries, even berries-that-don’t-exist-beries will crash down with the grassberries and weep…

When I Return as a Soccer Ball
by Michael

When people kick the ball I might hit people’s faces and it might go in the goal,
I get to take everybody’s kick and when sometime the soccer players kick the 
ball it can go out of bounds and the soccer ball can be dirty and wet and 
it can go very up in the air and it can get flat when they play in the rocks.


When I return as the Superhero Captain America
by Gerson (Roberto)

I am strong. So is he.
I run so fast. So is he.
He is a solider and so will I.
I like pistol, so do I.
He jump far I do too.
When I return as a superhero I will end the war. 

When I Return as a Microphone
by Sara Z

I will sing my little speakers out!!!
I will never run away unless I they have
a bad breath or sing horrible. If they have
a bad breath or sing horrible, I will run all
the way to Mexico!!!
Microphone have noses and ears too.

I love when people sing different kinds of music into me.
It can be a different type of style. It can be rap.
It can be a different language.
I love being a microphone.

When I Return as a Stage
by Rania

I will be happy that people perform on me,
I will be happy that it will change lives.
Talent show at a school, a reward given to Elvis,
Tears fall on me for happiness or sadness.
Music or silence from the crowd I can hear.
They shove and hands, screaming your name.
Keep going or even the silence of people
or the tomatoes have been thrown meaning get off the stage.
But always when a person goes on top of me
their life will change good or bad, tears of joy or sadness,
and even my life is changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment