Thursday, June 2, 2011

Apology

I apologize for not updating this regularly. When I work intensely with the kids all day, it's a challenge to sit at home and write about it. 

However, once a month i have to write several reports regarding my service, so I thought I would share those with you. Some are from a long time ago. And some are poor writing samples because I was rushing to make the due date. But...enjoy!


Poetry Night: RIF "Shel"ibration I love poetry, especially performance poetry. I knew that our students had the extra flavor it took to shove all insecurity aside and take to the stage. I also knew that if the shyer students put their heart into it, they would gain more confidence participating in the activity. But in the two program days working up to May 25th, our RIF "Poetry Night" celebration, I wasn't sure how we were going to have enough time to prepare the students for their poetry performances. Some students were leaving program early and not getting time to select or practice their poems. However, when one small shy and developmentally behind student got on stage to perform the Shel Silverstein poem "Tree House," I knew an impact had been made. All the students that performed, decorated, or illustrated for the poetry night did an amazing job! Some even got on stage and used improvisation to create poems about staff. One student performed a poem entitled "Erin" that her classmate wrote at school. Poetry Night was a huge success!


"Shy" student


Here is the poem entitled "Erin"

She's warm, she's fun.
She's filled with love.
She's like an angel from above.

She'll dance and sing and play tag with you.
She'll be excited about everything we say and do.

Her curls are black.
Her eyes are brown.
We're always happy when she comes around.

In math she helps us multiply and divide.
She also helps us not to be so shy!

She always pushes us to try and do our best,
So we can be well above the rest.

When she leaves we are always sad,
But knowing she's coming tomorrow makes us really glad.

written by M-F M.


No comments:

Post a Comment